The Midnight Jewel - Richelle Mead (Spoiler-free Review)

The Midnight Jewel

Author: Richelle Mead

Length: 399 pages


"A refugee of war, Mira was cast out of her home country and thrust into another, where the conditions were inhospitable at best. In a life-altering twist of fate, she is given the chance to escape once more, and she takes it, joining the Glittering Court.


Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. There, Mira finds herself subjected to persecution, not only from her fellow Glittering Court jewels, but from her suitors, as well—men she would potentially be expected to give her life to.

By day, she goes through the motions, learning the etiquette and customs that will help to earn her anonymity, even making a couple true friends in the process, the forthright ladies’ maid Adelaide and the ambitious laundress Tamsin. But by night, Mira hatches a different plan entirely—one that, if exposed, could get her hanged in the highest court of Adoria."


*


I absolutely loved The Midnight Jewel. It did take me a while to get through it since I was so busy procrastinating (e.g. Netflix, my 3DS) while I was trying to get through it but I FINALLY managed to get through it (yay!).

For those of you who don't know, The Glittering Court is a series that will consist of three books (two of them out already) and they all basically span the same time frame and tell the same story from three different perspectives, Adelaide's, Mira's and Tamsin's. Ok, so it's not the exact same story three times, since all of these three girls go through their own story and their own issues, but still. 

Mira was such a likeable character. She was tough, bold, stubborn and strong and didn't back down. Her passion for serving justice was incredibly contagious and I really appreciated and loved her noble character. 

I must say though, that even though I had already read The Glittering Court (book one), I was still incredibly confused about the different countries that were being mentioned and all the different nations that somehow had certain ties to one another. (I mean, I know that the Glittering Court girls all traveled from Osfridia to Adoria, and that's basically the most important thing to remember...right? *sigh* oh dear). But I'll definitely give all three books a reread once the third one comes out and hopefully I'll understand more of the history and culture. 

The story wasn't incredibly exciting in terms of a consistent plot and any type of story climax, but that was very much made up for by the great characters that Richelle had created for this story, as well as the fact that you could see Adelaide's story from Mira's perspective, which was incredibly satisfying. It was really interesting that while I was reading it, more and more of the story was starting to fill out. 

I don't really have that much more to say (since I'm trying to keep this review spoiler-free!). But I'll definitely review the ENTIRE story once the 3rd book comes out! :) 


0 Comments