Mythos Academy #6: Killer Frost - Jennifer Estep

Killer Frost
Goodreads Link

Author: Jennifer Estep:


Length: 384 pages


"I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before–and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death … most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am."





★ ★  ★ STARS


Warning. Spoilers. 

I really enjoyed the ending of this book. Again, sadly, it felt like it was semi-predictable, or at least quite cliché in what exactly happened that I just didn't feel that grand, clang clang bang bang (that was my imitation of a drum solo climax) moment in this book that completely took my breath away. 

The most wow moment for me was - obviously - Gwen sacrificing herself at the end of the book, but besides that, it all felt very mechanical. 

The battle itself, while still quite exciting, just seemed quite stereotypical, especially in terms of the dialogue and I really wished - longed for (especially considering that this was the last book in this entire series) some sort of adventure, or road trip or just anything out of the ordinary. 

I think the most emotional and touching part was definitely when Gwen was speaking to Nike, and she showed Gwen her future. That definitely brought some tears to my eyes and make me sob just a tiny bit. 

Overall, I'm really glad that I dug into this series though. I really loved the dynamics between Gwen, Daphne, Logan, Carson and all of the other people. And in particular, I was really thrilled that Gwen and Rory became friends and will now always have each other's backs. I really hope that Gwen can learn more about her family via her and that they can grow even closer as friends. In fact, I can't even imagine how hilarious the conversations between Rory and Daphne could get ("did you drown in a pot of pink glitter, princess or what happened?"

This was overall a really great series and definitely should be read, but I definitely wouldn't categorize it as one of my favorite series. I am really glad that I picked it up and hope to reread it maybe sometime in the future!



0 Comments