A Court of Thorns and Roses #1: A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas

Warning, there will be spoilers!

A Court of Thorns and Roses


Published: May 5th, 2015

Page Count: 416

"When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!




~

4.5 stars

I have to be a tiny bit honest at this point and say that at the very beginning of this novel I wasn't too impressed. It felt very Katniss-esque and I thought I could see where the entire story would follow to. Hell, was I wrong. And I'm also damn right glad I was.

Feyre is strong, has a will of her own and would do anything for her two sisters and father. The oath that she swore to her mother at her deathbed now binds her to protecting them and keeping them well-fed. (See what I mean with Katniss-esque?). As she accidentally kills a faerie, she is swiftly taken from her human duties and whisked off to Prythian, the land of the faeries, and is taken 'captive' by the High Lord of Spring, Tamlin.  


Now I'm not sure whether I was the only one who thought this at this point in the story, but I thought there would be a cheese-worthy love triangle put up between Feyre, Lucian and Tamlin or that they would end up being brothers who are major rivals or some other book trope like that. No. Everything was just so intense from then on. 

The first couple of chapters of Feyre spending her days at the mansion seemed to pass pretty slowly and the story didn't progress much (although we do find out later that certain things Feyre hears from certain people will have a major affect on what would happen later) - this is also the reason I gave this book a 4.5 stars instead of a 5 (sorry!). 

Nevertheless, the sexual tension between Feyre and Tamlin goes through the roof and man I can tell you guys, Sarah J. Maas likes her sex scenes steamy, dayum. Also, the amount of heavy sarcasm between Feyre and Lucian/Tamlin is seriously to die for hilarious at times. 
A lot of drama ensues, especially with Feyre trying to find a way around the 'Treaty' that ensures she has to stay with Tamlin forever but eventually she gets sent off back home and now this was the time in the book when everything changed drastically

So if you think that this book will just take you through a simple plot with not a lot of twists and turns, you will be in for a shock. The amount of plot twists and new revelations that Sarah has added into this book is so well crafted and I didn't see any of them coming. (Except the last one which I slightly saw coming. Okay, maybe it was only one-page-away-saw-it-coming but still!)

The way the love that Feyre has for Tamlin is described always managed to bring me to the brink of tears. The fierceness and determination that Feyre has and that she would literally do anything for him is just so admirable and a great lesson for all us women to learn. She shows us that love requires sacrifice and trust, something that a lot of people seem to be forgetting today. It's not about the easiness that will define love, it's the hard times and what you do to keep it, and Feyre shows exactly that. 

~

"You don't hold on to power by being everyone's friend."

"It's a good thing that while you have a superior hearing, I possess superior abilities to keep my mouth shut."

"I think I'm to starting to like you - for a murdering human."

"Against slavery, against tyranny, I would gladly go to my death, no matter whose freedom I was defending."

"He smiled at me still, broadly and without restraint or hesitation. Isaac had never smiled at me like that. Isaac had never made my breath catch, just a little bit."

"Slowly, so slowly, his eyes roved down, then up. As if he were studying every inch, every curve of me. And even though I wore my ivory underthings, that gaze alone stripped me bare."

"It's yours. Don't bury it in my back, please."

"Pastorals, portraits, still lifes...each a story and an experience, each a voice shouting or whispering or singing about what that moment, that feeling, had been like, each a cry into the void of time that they had been here, had existed."

"I was as unburdening as a piece of dandelion fluff, and he was the wind that stirred me about the world."

"So, here we are, with the fate of our immortal world in the hands of an illiterate human."

"I love you, no matter what she says about it, no matter if it's only with my insignificant human heart. Even when they burn my body, I'll love you."

"Kill the faerie, fall in love with a faerie, then be forced to kill a faerie to kill that love."

"But I gave myself again to that fire, threw myself into it, into him, and let myself burn."

"Be glad of your human heart, Feyre. Pity those who don't feel anything at all."

“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.”

“I love you,’ he whispered, and kissed my brow. ‘Thorns and all.” 

“We need hope, or else we cannot endure.” 



0 Comments