True Colors - Krysten Lindsay Hager

True Colors 
Published: June 17th, 2014

Page Count: 222

"Landry Albright just wants to be one of the interesting girls at school who always have exciting things going on in their lives. She wants to stand out, but also wants to fit in, so she gives in when her two best friends, Ericka and Tori, push her into trying out for a teen reality show modeling competition with them. Landry goes in nervous, but impresses the judges enough to make it to the next round. However, Ericka and Tori get cut and basically "unfriend" her on Monday at school. Landry tries to make new friends, but gets caught up between wanting to be herself and conforming to who her new friends want her to be. Along the way she learns that modeling is nowhere as glamorous as it seems, how to deal with frenemies, a new crush, and that true friends see you for who you really are and like you because of it. This is the first book in the series."



~


Thank you Netgalley for sending me a free copy of this book




I would like to start off by saying that I hate writing bad reviews, really I do. But when I write a book review and want to give an honest opinion, like is asked of me, about how I feel the writing style, plot, character development, etc placed out I'm not going to lie about what I see in front of me and how I feel about it. I really hope no one gets offended and I want everyone to know that I respect everyone's opinion about this book. 


1 star



True Colors was...entertaining at times. And that was pretty much all it was.

I would like to start off by saying that this book has been categorized as Young Adult on Goodreads and that is completely just off. This book should be listed as a Middle Grade book at the very most, and should actually be targeted to even younger audiences (I'm talking ages 9-11).

This book did have some entertaining moments, especially when I recognized some of my own stubbornness and feelings toward bullies when I was around 11 or 12 but it in no way makes up for its negative aspects that made me want to rip out my hair by my roots.

First off, the writing style always managed to give me a headache within two minutes of reading. There were so many characters and so little personality added to them and the book never really ended up solving the issues with certain girls (Tori, Ericka, etc.)

Landry's inner monologues sounded like a ten year old girl decided to write down all of her immature thought without using any full stops. I have to say that I have definitely read more mature books that were contemporary and dealt with fashion and modeling and were targeted for an even younger audience. (Anyone who is around the ages of 11-14 should check out the Totally Lucy series by Kelly McCain - it is WAY more entertaining, mature and exciting than this book).

Yes, the story did have a slight moral story at the end, but I never saw any growth and plot in this story. Landry sounded incredibly annoying and rude even at the end. I know that there are more books that probably complete this series, but I felt like absolutely nothing progressed in this book. I'm not even sure if it was supposed to mainly be about modeling, school, friendships or just the daily life of a teenager. It didn't interest me, it didn't excite me and it definitely does not make me want to continue reading the series.

0 Comments