Unearthly #2: Hallowed - Cynthia Hand

Hallowed
Goodreads Link

Author: Cynthia Hand

Length: 403 pages

"For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought.


Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning"

4 ¼ STARS  ★ ★


Spoilers ahead

Oh wow. I think the ending of this book definitely falls under the top five books that have made me bawl at the end of them. I literally sat there with tears in my eyes for minutes after finishing this book

I also have a lot of mixed feelings about everything in this book at the moment. Obviously I love Clara with Tucker and I think the two of them are absolutely adorable together, but I'm starting to also really ship her with Christian. I also think that considering everything - especially all of the angelic issues, and her powers and whatnot - Christians seems like the reasonable and safe choice. But then again, love is not meant to be safe, is it? 

To be honest though, love-triangles aside, I was way too focused on Maggie reaching her 120th year than any romance issues that might have been going on. And while I have read a lot of books where people die - even very important or main character - I feel like Maggie's death just hit me harder because we knew that it was going to happen quite early on and it felt like you were mourning her death throughout most of the book, and the sadness just happened to climax when she actually passed away. I also just could not, for the life of me, believe that she was actually going to die. 

What I also just did not understand was why was Jeffrey's purpose to set that fire and save Tucker? What possible good was supposed to come out of that? I mean, if Jeffrey never had to start that fire, then Tucker would never have needed saving, right?

I am incredibly interested to see what is going to happen in the third and final book, especially in regards to Clara's relationship with both Christian and Tucker. I also really hope we get to see her going to Stanford, because I absolutely love her relationship with Angela. What I'm also really hoping for is for Clara to be able to see her mom again, or that she'll be able to travel to heaven sometime. But maybe that's just stretching it. I'm curious to see what will happen to Samjeeza and whether Clara might have to work together with him on something. 

I guess we'll see!


0 Comments